Understanding News Related to Bible Prophecy
You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains.
As we consider the events happening around us, here are a few key verses that foretell things that will will happen during what the Bible calls "the time of the end" (Daniel 12:8-9). Some have already happened and we can see how others are poised to happen soon:
- As witnessed in 1948, Israel will again become a nation (Jeremiah 23:7-8)
- As already happened in 1967, Jerusalem will be controlled by the Jewish people — which lays the groundwork for huge future prophetic events to happen (Daniel 9:27; Matthew 24:15)
- As witnessed in 1984, Jews living in Ethiopia will return to the land of Israel (Zephaniah 3:10-11)
- As seen in 1970-1980, Jews living in Russia will return to the land of Israel (Jeremiah 23:7-8)
- Many false prophets and false Christs will emerge (Matthew 24:23-24)
- There will be wars and rumors of wars, esp. related to Israel. (Psalm 83:4-5; Revelation 6:4)
- There will be earthquakes in various places (Matthew 24:7; Revelation 6:12)
- The world will experience food shortages (Matthew 24:7; Revelation 6:6)
- Worldwide pestilence and plagues will happen (Revelation 6:7-8,14)
- We'll see a marked moral decay of society (2 Timothy 3:1-7)
- Churches will have a drastic increase in false teaching and there will be apostasy (Matthew 24:10-11; 2 Timothy 4:3-4)
- The Roman Empire will reemerge (Daniel 2:32-33; Daniel 2:40-43)
- The Jewish Temple will be rebuilt (Revelation 11:2; Daniel 9:27; Daniel 9:26)
- We will have a better understanding of prophecy (Daniel 12:4)
- A one-world government and a one-world banking system will emerge for the Antichrist to manipulate (Revelation 13:16-17)
- Communication technology will advance (Revelation 11:3, 7-10)
- We'll witness news reports that foreshadow cosmic phenomenon (Isaiah 13:10, 24:23; Joel 3:15; Luke 21:25-26; Revelation 6:12-14)
- The United States will experience a decline in world influence given its absence from prophecy.
- We will see news reports that foreshadow wild beasts ravaging mankind (Revelation 6:8)
- The gospel will be proclaimed throughout the world (Matthew 24:14)
- As we are witnessing today, the tiny nation of Israel will continue to be in the headlines. The land where Jerusalem exists will be of primary attention. That is where some day the Jewish Temple will be rebuilt. That must happen because scripture explains that one day the "abomination that causes desolation" will occur in the temple (Daniel 9:27, Matthew 24:15).